What Are Fireproof Gaskets?
Newsletter Sign Up
Combustion requires three elements: heat, combustible material, and oxygen. Combined, they contribute to the sequence of reactions that cause incineration:
- Pyrolysis. This process occurs when a combustible material like plastic begins to soften and decompose under temperatures that exceed its thermal resistance capabilities. The decomposition of the material produces flammable gases (chain fragments or hydrogen radicals).
- Ignition. As oxygen mixes with these gases, it creates a combustible mixture, which ignites as temperatures reach a certain level.
- Renewal. The heat released during combustion continues to react with the melting material, releasing additional combustible gases that renew the combustion cycle.
Fireproof gaskets are gaskets designed to mitigate or eliminate the occurrence and spread of fire. They are made of materials that resist softening, igniting, and/or producing combustible gases under high-temperatures, ultimately reducing the risk of incineration.
When designing and manufacturing fireproof gaskets, one of the primary challenges is identifying and sourcing a material that demonstrates both the desired flame retardant properties and the mechanical and chemical properties required to achieve a proper seal. In addition to flame retardance and seal production, other key performance characteristics include:
- Ability to adhere to various substrates
- Low water absorption
- Tear resistance
- Temperature range
Types of Materials Used for Fireproof Gaskets
Industry professionals use a variety of high-temperature materials to manufacture fireproof gaskets. Some of the most commonly employed are:
Applications of Fireproof Gaskets
Fireproof gaskets serve a critical role in a wide range of industrial applications, preventing or delaying the spread of fire that can lead to damage to sensitive equipment or injury to employees. Examples of common use cases for these components include:
- Appliances, such as refrigerators, washers, dryers
- Consumer electronic devices, such as computers and laptops
- Industrial and commercial electronic equipment and systems
- Lighting fixtures and systems
Fireproof Rishon Gaskets from RCF Technologies
RCF Technologies specializes in creating custom gaskets with our proprietary Rishon material. We have been creating seals, gaskets, and other industrial parts for over 40 years. Rishon material combines the best elements of fabrics and elastomers to create one homogenous, durable material. Rishon material and products made from Rishon are:
- Chemically compatible
- Temperature resistant
Contact RCF Technologies today to learn more about our custom gaskets and other industrial parts.